Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Blogging for Money? What a Joke!


Class, I know I've been absent, but I have a perfectly good couple of alibis which I'm sure you probably could care less about. In any event, I'm gonna tell you anyway just to evoke some pity and sympathy and perhaps succeed in guilt tripping you.

I've been re-thinking this bait called "Blogging for Money". After careful consideration, I'm not so sure this is a likely 'done-deal', at least not as much as some bloggers (are they shills?) would have you believe. Aside from Dooce, whom do you personally know and sleep with or are intimate with or share a bathroom with who are actually making any DECENT monies from their blogs? I'd wager to guess: d*** few!

Blogging for money must be one of those Urban Myths. Either that or you have a gadzillion of MySpace friends who want to buy your lousy posters and cheesey t-shirts. I have been reading forums, researching this matter, and communicating with many who supposedly are "in the know", and thus, I've had a wake-up call about this subject. Money-schmoney! Let's just go for the gritty truth: we blog because we can! Because we're narcissists! Because we want to tell our side of the story! Because we're looking to meet new friends! Because we're geeks! Because we like to write our truth! And so on and so forth. Yadayada.

Does this cold water truth mean we'll have to keep our day jobs? I'm afraid so class unless you get like luckier than sh$. Remember me, your blondalicious teach when you do. My tip jar is still lurking right here on this blog. Did I mention how great you look lately? Did you loose weight? I mean...wow..you look fabulous! New shoes? New haircut? New anything?

Ok...enough of my disillusionment. Here's my blogging tip for you today, and I do believe this is a good one. Follow the lead of those who are dropping us peons the crumbs. It's from the fabulously wealthy, successful, bringing home- the- big- bacon- bloggers: Techcrunch.

The title is 2007: Web 2.0 Companies I Couldn't Live Without by Michael Arrington. You do know him, right? I know he's worth mega-oodles, but the big question is this: is he a generous tipper?


Technorati Tags:, urban myth,,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 1:19 PM

12 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at Tuesday, January 09, 2007  
    You nailed it again Blondie! Haaaahhhhaaaaa.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at Wednesday, January 10, 2007  
    Like you said a total CROCK and with 50 million blogs right now in the blogosphere, 2 blogs created every second, it will only get more difficult!
  • Blogger Mushy posted at Thursday, January 11, 2007  
    When I started, I pasted everything I possibly could into the template hoping to make money. Hell, I've got plenty now that I'm retired so, I stripped it all away and blog for the real reason I started - telling stories and sharing my life! That's all that is effective here anyway.
  • Anonymous msdemmie posted at Saturday, January 13, 2007  
    I dont know anyone who actually makes money blogging .......... think the PPP thing might help in that direction - but that involves selling your sould to them!
  • Anonymous ThePovertyJetSet posted at Wednesday, January 24, 2007  
    I don't make any money blogging, but it sure takes up a damn lot of my time. Here's my missive on that subject.

    However, I do have a friend who not only makes money with his blog, but employees his girlfriend as well. Total grassroots effort! Philebrity.com. Dig it.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at Thursday, January 25, 2007  
    great post! and thanks for visiting my blog The Witch Dr is IN
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at Saturday, January 27, 2007  
    Who said blondes were dumb?? Probably the same one that said you could make money on your blogs...Bastards
  • Blogger BillyWarhol posted at Friday, February 09, 2007  
    well said Kuanyin*

    unless u've got massive Traffic to generate a lot of Clicks it's unlikely the averag Blogger is gonna make any serious $coin*

    That being said I would like to see some New Economic model arise out of all this Blogging & Web2.0 Social Networking that allows people to Earn some decent $Money Blogging & doing different things on the Internet*

    One i did like that doesn't require U to do anything other than Surf or just spend your normal amount of time on the Net is Agloco - worth a look anyways & i have a link at my $B Baloney Blog!!

    Cheers Everybody!! Billy ;))

    Peace*
  • Anonymous Shazzer posted at Wednesday, February 14, 2007  
    I think it all depends on the blogger's expectations. I recently placed a few small ads on my blog with the intent to make enough to pay for my domain name and hosting service. Based on my earnings so far...I'll definitely clear that and probably a little more, so I'm happy.
  • Blogger Carlos posted at Friday, February 23, 2007  
    I can say I am happy too, if you accept the fact that you were born to be a miserable peasant and not a landlord. I make some monthly bucks that I treasure for a decent holidays (by this I mean, not to drink my beers thinking on the money I am wasting). I digress, if you accept that, your blogger anxiety won't give you a stomach ulcer. Believe me, counting your successful daily 2 or 3 dollars earning if any!, really affects your health. But there I go ill-treating myself to death :)
  • Blogger colleen_cc posted at Saturday, February 24, 2007  
    I've made $7000 from my blog in 8 months. And I'm no Dooce :-)
  • Blogger Kuanyin posted at Saturday, February 24, 2007  
    Since you have blocked access to your blog Colleen cc, I can't respond to you directly via comment, so I respond to you here! Show me--show us! We want to know HOW you are making money!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link