Saturday, March 03, 2007

Discover Your Blog Niche Hole


Class, I wish to share some recent interactions with blog readers. I've had an increasing number of requests from other bloggers to review their blogs, and what I've discovered through this process (and in critiquing my own blogs) is worthy of sharing with you for your edification. So Listen UP! Take your hands out of your pants, and put them on the table where I can see them, at least until you finish reading this post! I'm not wearing these shit-kicking boots for nothing!

The number one point to remember in naming and titling your Blog and Blog Posts is to know your audience! For whom do you write? This is usually a process of discovery, and even after launching your blog with a certain audience in mind, there is a continual need to experiment and tweak your blog. You may discover a bigger, better, sleazier, more fabulous audience for your blog....or even a completely different one. Take a risk with your blog, and as I wrote on another one of my blogs, "Live dangerously!"

For example, I began this blog as a humor & education blog, but the TONE of the blog has shifted as I've become better acquainted with my readers and audience. Blog-Blond has taken on a darker, snarkier hue. Now I'm naughtier, fiercer, more attitudinal, bitchier, and more straight-talking. My whip is out, and I'm ready to crack it. And ya know what, I like it! Judging by the hits (certainly not by comments and this includes you, Mr. Humor-Blog himself! Hah! Like how I worked that one in?), this TONE is appropriate for my readership.

My current stance may shift again. Who knows? I write for my loveable, naughty class and for me, and even though I covet the hard-to-acquire Yahoo links, I zero choose to pay for them or employ Google ads to get them. Then again, I may change my mind tomorrow! This is the Joy of Blogging for me, for I can willfully change things whenever I please... delete this... add that...whatever works! This is why when I was offered a gig posting blogs for one of the BIG blog groups who share revenue, I turned them down. I'm an independent, free spirit, and I choose to be an a$$-kicking rebel blogger!

I have found MY Blog Niche Hole(s). Have you?

Labels: , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 1:22 PM

7 Comments

  • Anonymous Jim posted at Saturday, March 03, 2007  
    Kuanyin,

    Nice post. I think I'm still in the process of finding who all of "my readers" ( and I use that term carefully ) are and if my tone is any bit of appealing to them.
  • Blogger Salman Siddiqui posted at Saturday, March 03, 2007  
    i know my readers...and wot they want...

    ONLY computers and thats is wat i like to deliver...

    but hey do some optimization...it will look neat then!
  • Blogger Clarence posted at Sunday, March 04, 2007  
    Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
  • Blogger 1 Million Love Messages posted at Sunday, March 04, 2007  
    Hi there,

    1 Million Love Messages has new domain:

    Now i'm in:

    http://www.1millionlovemessages.com/

    Still in blogger but with new address :-)
    Don't forget to change my link... thanks a lot.

    Best regards from Portugal
  • Anonymous a links blog posted at Sunday, March 04, 2007  
    Thanks for participating! If you could just send me a small description, I will place a post about your blog as soon as possible.

    Thanks.
  • Anonymous Gen posted at Monday, March 05, 2007  
    Funny very funny
  • Anonymous Edward Wolf posted at Wednesday, March 07, 2007  
    I know who my readers are, and what they want--both of them.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link