Friday, April 27, 2007

The Three Golden Rules of Blogging


Yoohooo....it's me again, your blondalicious teacher with another weekend homework assignment! Let's hear that HUGE groan!

I wish to educate you today on The Three Golden Rules of Blogging (or TTGROB) because these rules-- once learned and employed--will serve you well as you play in the big blogosphere sandbox. These three rules are the basis for good blogging etiquette, and someday you will thank me just as you thank your parents (with lots of moolah and link love!).

Rule Number One: Do Unto Other Bloggers As You Would Do To Yourself

This means treat other bloggers with respect, kindness, LINK LOVE (if their link fits with your blog), and reply to their comments if you have the time.

Once again, I will use myself, your blondalicious teacher, as an example. I'm juggling so many projects these days, and sometimes the wind from the overhead fan blows my notes away. Tis true! And then I can't remember what is on my list of things to do, and so I screw up from time to time. It boils down to "I've been very busy!" And I'm sure it's true that me, you, and we're all busy! Most of us don't spend our days blogging. We go to work, enter hospitals for operations, travel, take care of others, go shopping, do charity work....the list is endless!

This is why I picked the photo of the black maribou slipper as my illustration--we're all juggling many, many duties, obligations, and pleasures in our lives. I've run out of hands to juggle with, and now I've added my feet and am juggling in my maribou slippers!

So perchance a fellow blogger doesn't always get around to leaving a comment on your blog, cut 'em some slack. If a blogger forgets to add your link, wait a bit, and then gently remind them, and then CUT 'EM SOME SLACK. If a blogger leaves what you perceive is a 'snarky' comment, maybe they were having a bad day...and whaddya going to do...(I want to hear you scream it out now really LOUD!):

CUT 'EM SOME SLACK

Rule Number Two: Make Blogging Allies By Playing Nice

There's an old cliche that you catch more flies with honey. One never knows who will suddenly be the 'hot' thing, and if you're their ally, you can catch a ride on their stream as they rocket to the top. Thus, it's wise to do your best NOT to alienate others and make enemies. However, if you do make an enemy here and there, don't worry about it too much. All this means is that you must be doing something right!

Rule Number Three: Never Ever Breathe Easy--You Can Be Sure Someone is Gaining On You!

There are millions of bloggers entering the Blogosphere Playground every day, and some of these newbies are go-getters. If you (the seasoned blogger) don't keep learning new hot blogging tricks, making new blog allies, and 'up-ing' your game, soon you may find yourself eating their dust. Just like on the television show, "Dancing With The Stars", you need to put your ALL into your blog like the dancers do with their dance numbers, and if you don't, it shows--next thing ya know, you're being voted off the blogosphere. Well, I don't think it will come to that, but worse yet---you will be Left Behind!

Your homework assignment is to critique your blog style with these rules in mind. If you don't measure up, then you'd better shift it fast & get your game on!

What do you think of my TTGROB, Mr. "Humor-Blog.com"?



Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 4:00 PM

9 Comments

  • Blogger Wayne Smallman posted at Saturday, April 28, 2007  
    There's enough 'blogging tips lists out there, but this sort of encapsulates the whole thing.

    At the end of the day, 'blogging is a social thing, so it stands to reason the best tips are the ones that simply ask people to be nice to each other...
  • Anonymous Gen posted at Saturday, April 28, 2007  
    Good advice
  • Anonymous Malathy posted at Monday, April 30, 2007  
    What a blog! How did you manage this great template?

    And the topics are though provoking, the presentation is unique.

    I wonder if you would care to exchange links with my blog-Blog Avenues?
  • Blogger Gary posted at Monday, April 30, 2007  
    Some useful advice for a beginner like me. And I really like your style!
    Blonds are beautiful :-"
  • Blogger hotdogman posted at Monday, April 30, 2007  
    Hey I added your blogs to the Day in The Life Community on Bumpzee.

    You seem awfully sharp-for a blond! ;o)

    See ya around.
  • Anonymous cooper posted at Monday, April 30, 2007  
    Great graphic.

    I never understand why so many people do not respond the their comments. I do remember not really knowing what to say to these strangers - way back in the day when I first started at blogspot.

    I don't link any longer all my links are my original readers. I tend to put people in my readers and subscribe to their feeds instead.
    I periodically list new blog finds in a post to share with others.

    What happens when people email you for links and you don't want to link to them? I always find this awkward.I also find comments which say "nice post" to be hard to reply to.
  • Blogger Tisha! posted at Tuesday, May 01, 2007  
    yes mistress!
  • Anonymous Elbert West posted at Friday, May 04, 2007  
    I just found you this evening and found myself captivated by your writing. I really enjoy your style. I'll be back.
  • Blogger House of Virtue posted at Monday, May 07, 2007  
    Great writing skill, we enjoyed the read. God bless you!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link