Wednesday, June 13, 2007

And How does YOUR blog score?


Class, what I don't know could fill the bra of Pamela Anderson, and you know how big that is! However, I'm always learning, studying, and attempting to become a better blogger--just like you, right? There's not a day that goes by that I'm not either scratching my head in bafflement or tearing out my hair in frustration as I work at improving my blog(s)! When does the learning curve get any easier?

Yesterday I discovered a site titled Website Grader which is a really cool site because it grades your blog using SEO guidelines. I was shocked to see the score of Blog-Blond because as I have written from the very beginning of the blog--"I'm just a quark smarter than you." Then again, maybe not! Lately you've been showing how brilliant you are with your scores, and I suppose you're going to write in my comments how much better your score is than mine. I know you can't help yourselves because you want to show-off for your blondalicious teacher!

The Website Grader writes,"Ovewr 35,000 Websites Graded!", and thus out of all these websites, Blog-Blond didn't do so bad for she scored 64/100! What does this mean?

"A website grade of 64 for www.blog-blond.blogspot.com means that of the thousands of websites that have previously been submitted to the tool, our algorithm has calculated that this site scores higher than 64% of them in terms of its marketing effectiveness. This algorithm uses a proprietary blend of over a dozen different variables, including search engine data, website structure, approximate traffic, site performance, and others."

I scored ZERO on meta-data. Heck, I don't even know what meta-data is! They suggested adding them to the page. (note to myself--find out!) Grrrrr....

They said there was ZERO page description--didn't they read the banner? Grrrrr....

They said "Font Tags Found in HTML" and cautioned against this. Grrrr....

I need to add "alt" attributes to my images. Grrr....

The ONLY score I'm thrilled about is this one: the READABILITY level is 4th Grade! This is a good thing, ya know, because "the content should be made to be simple so that a majority of the target audience can understand it." I work very hard to make the Blond simple, easy, and readable. And they say I've succeeded!

Check out your score and let me know how you did! And if any one of you brilliant (yet still very naughty!) students want to step up and REVEAL your genius in a guest post, the offer is still on the table. My Uncle Vinnie won't knock on your door if you're not ALL THAT funny--I promise!

Mr. "Humor-Blogs.com", I betcha got a really high score!

Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 12:52 PM

12 Comments

  • Blogger Steven posted at Wednesday, June 13, 2007  
    Fun blog! Can't wait to make my way through it. And great advice. I've never heard of the grading site before either. I'm a little scared to use it, but use it I will!
  • Blogger hotdogman posted at Wednesday, June 13, 2007  
    I got a 64 too.

    Big Deal!
  • Blogger Zep posted at Wednesday, June 13, 2007  
    Thank you for linking to this interesting tool. It told me my domain will expire in 280 days. I didn't know that. And my readability level is sixth grade - it's more like my writing skills are sixth grade, I guess...
  • Blogger BillyWarhol posted at Thursday, June 14, 2007  
    Ya gotta Love our Canadian Gal Pamela Anderson Kid Rock Lee!!!!

    ;PPP

    our Finest Exports!!!
  • Blogger Mauigirl posted at Friday, June 15, 2007  
    Cool grading site! My medical blog, Medicana, got a 67! My regular blog, Mauigirl's Meanderings, didn't do as well - only a 28. Said I didn't have an RSS feed, will have to figure out how to add that. Both blogs were rated that people need an "advanced degree" read my blogs! Damn! Didn't know I was so erudite! (I wasn't surprised on the medical blog, but my regular one too???)
  • Blogger AmyMeacham posted at Saturday, June 16, 2007  
    I got a 55 but I'm 10th grade level. I guess that's too high..
  • Anonymous Deborah posted at Sunday, June 17, 2007  
    OK, I took the Pepsi challenge since you dared me.

    I got 78.

    Page Rank a factor, no biggie there, since my blog's barely over 2 months old and wasn't around during the last update.

    Grade level 8... fine by me, I want ppl to be able to read my blog at an easy level.

    Only 3 inbound links ... what the??? Technorati tells me I have 195, with a rank of 22,705. (it also said I have no Technorati ranking ???) So that tells me they're likely only qualifying links coming from a minimum of PR4.

    It told me I have a 'stop' word in my page title for 'in', and to get rid of it. Well my blog is called Life in the Fast Lane...Life the Fast Lane just doesn't cut it, KWIM?

    When you said it told you that you don't have a page description, it's talking about meta tags for a brief description of your blog. If I can find a bookmark I used a while back that generates meta tags for you I'll get it to you.

    But don't ask me how to use it, since I'm completely techy challenged, ppfft. My webmaster set it up. Maybe if you used 'view>source' from my site and were able to figure it out from there you could replicate it.

    K, I just found it...enter what you want in the fields for keywords etc and it will generate the tags for you:
    http://www.iwebtool.com/metatags_generator

    Thanks, that was fun!

    Ok, either I'm entering the wrong word verifications, or this is duplicating. If so, please feel free to delete, sorry!
  • Blogger Blog Bloke posted at Monday, June 18, 2007  
    Hey, thanks for the link. I got a surprising 89. Much better than I anticipated for a relatively new blog.

    Let me know if need any help with the metadata thingy.

    All my love,

    ...Meta Bloke
    (the other BB)
  • Blogger Callie posted at Tuesday, June 19, 2007  
    Glad to see you back to really blogging. *smiles

    callie
  • Blogger JayPeeFreely posted at Wednesday, June 27, 2007  
    Only a 56. :(

    I'm only the 5,753,641th most popular site to surf according to Alexa.

    Problems:meta keywords. I haven't exactly figured out how to further do that.

    Overall, its better than my blogcatalog score.
  • Blogger Miss Cellania posted at Friday, June 29, 2007  
    I got an 88. Readability is 9th grade. Instead of competitors, I put in the other sites I write for, which got scores of 96, 96, and 98. I also have no meta tags and no clue how to get them.
  • Anonymous muebles en badajoz posted at Sunday, November 13, 2011  
    Thanks for your post, quite worthwhile material.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link