Thursday, June 07, 2007

Bollocks and Blogs


Class, there are certain words which when I hear them I am immediately cheered up!

Bollocks is such a word!

I was reading a blog called Blue Witch, and in the comments Kitchen Witch wrote the word 'bollocks', and somehow, I instantly felt better! This word does it for me! It makes me smile!

Here's the definition of bollocks from the English to American dictionary:

"bollocks n. How do I put this delicately... bollocks are testicles. The word is in pretty common use in the UK (not in my house, of course!) and works well as a general "surprise" expletive in a similar way to bugger. The phrase "the dog's bollocks" is used to describe something particularly good (yes, good) - something like "see that car - it's the dog's bollocks, so it is". This in turn gives way to homonym phrases like "the pooch's privates" or "the mutt's nuts" which all generally mean the same thing. Oh, and this beer from Wychwood Brewery. The word has also slipped through the the State of Florida's censors in the wonderful form of this registration plate. We also describe a big telling-off as a bollocking, and additionally use the word to mean "rubbish" (as in "well, that's a load of bollocks"). Some additional US/UK confusion is added by the fact that the words "bollix" and "bollixed" are sometimes used in the US to describe something thrown into confusion or destroyed."

Are there trigger words in 'blogs' which do it for you and make you smile?

I don't know how I arrived at the Blue Witch blog, but I'm glad I did because the latest post led me to this site: The Gender Genie

Of course, this site intrigued me, and thus, I began researching the theory by copying and pasting the last posts from my TEN blogs to check and see if I am a girl or boy blogger. If indeed the gender theory postulated using the algorithm developed by Moshe Koppel and Shlomo Argamon is correct in regards to my gender, then I'll know for sure at long last. There's also something about the word Shlomo that makes me smile. Hmmmm.....

After going through this long process, the results from my post reveal that SIX out of my TEN blogs are written by a MALE! This must mean I'm a blog bi-sexual, right?
Well, I admit I was a tomboy as a little girl, but now I look, feel, and act very girly. At least, the blondalicious Blog-Blond blog showed up as a female!

On another note, since so many of my students are smartier (I made this word up just because I can!) and nerdier than me as noted by you in your comments on my last post (except for Carlos but that's just because he's a Spanish gentlemen!), the teacher now offers any one of my BRIGHT nerdy students to do a guest post. So please step up and offer your blog wisdom to the rest of us blogging dummies...err, that would be mostly me!

If you would like to guest post, notify me either through a comment or email, and we'll work it out. The rules are:

Funny, cuss words modified, good information or links (but not of those I detest!), something to say about blogs, bloggers, and blogging. Business bloggers not welcome because you're too boring!

And how about you, Mr."Humor-Blogs.com"?

Labels: , , , , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 1:09 PM

3 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at Friday, June 08, 2007  
    EVERY word you use makes me smile! Joe
  • Anonymous Mad goat lady posted at Monday, June 11, 2007  
    I agree! Bollocks is a fantastic word...with an English husband it is a word that is used often in this Aussie household!
  • Blogger Mauigirl posted at Tuesday, June 12, 2007  
    Cool site - I cut and pasted several paragraphs from my main blog and my medical blog, and most of them came back that I am a guy! Only one paragraph resulted in me being female and even that one was close. Interesting...
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link