Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Five Blog No-No's



Class, I'm back after a brief recess, and I have Five Blog No-No's for you and how to fix them. Some of these may make you squirm in your designer jeans.

Before we start, wasn't your substitute teacher/guest blogger Sue thorough with her No-Follow post? I have also removed the No-Follow from my blog template, but I haven't posted the I-Follow badge yet on my sidebar. Oh well, you know that your comments will now receive a link-back, right? So jump-on-in and mouth off, won't ya?

So Listen UP my darling ones, here are my top five Blog No-No's:

1. My number one bitch these days is the endless messaging I'm receiving from fellow bloggers on MyBlogLog. It's very simple: Don't do this! It feels like spamming, looks like spamming, and hey, it IS spamming! I'm not the only other blogger who's griping about this, as I've read plenty of negative feedback on other blogs. I bet MyBlogLog folks are probably scrambling to fix this new service. Blog relationships are important, so don't screw them up.

2. If you see a comment and haven't acknowledged it by returning a comment, this is a huge no-no. Click on the name and speed as fast as Courtney Love on crack to their blog and return the favor because that is a ***READER***, and you want readers and friends. After all, blogging is a SOCIAL enterprise. If you leave a comment, make sure your blog has been updated recently--there's nothing so depressing as going to a blog which hasn't been updated since 2006!

3. Don't hesitate to promote yourself. Holding back because you're not a BIG f****** fish doesn't matter. People forget. People have too much on their plates already. The advertising rule is that consistency works, and only after the third time will your ad even be noticed. Same goes for blogs. You will remain invisible unless you plaster your name and mug onto the blogosphere. So comment away on other blogs and in forums. Be Seen!

4. Puhlease don't plaster your blog with lots of ads! It's challenging to know where to begin reading if a blog is smothered in ads. I know some of the top bloggers do this, and frankly, the only reason that they get away with it is because they've already paid their dues, are one of the big boyz/girlz, and have a devoted following. And yet, it still looks tacky and confusing. What to do: de-clutter your blog. I never click on the ads anyway. Do YOU? I have work to do in this regard because my sidebar needs serious weeding, not from ads but from widgets run amok!

5. Don't burn yourself and your readers out by posting TOO OFTEN if you don't have anything to say! Make your posts relevant, timely, and with benefits for your readers. Much of the writing I read on blogs is re-hashed hoo-hah.

Ok. Mr. "Humor-Blogs, com", watcha think about these pointers?

Labels: , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 3:33 PM

22 Comments

  • Anonymous Catherine, the redhead posted at Tuesday, July 03, 2007  
    Ahhh re-hashed hoo ha. I think I have read that blog. The new community message feature at Mybloglog is a problem. I think we should have been able to opt out before it was implemented. QA is always a problem with techies. It probably wouldn't be a bad feature if the messages I am receiving (by the hundreds) made me laugh ... but alas... it's hoo ha.
    Catherine, the redhead
  • Anonymous Nicholas posted at Wednesday, July 04, 2007  
    I so agree about #5. Blog addicts never entertain me.

    This is a very useful site. Glad I found it.
  • Blogger Franco posted at Wednesday, July 04, 2007  
    Hey..As I said when I famed you, your blog deserves my vote anytime. It's more than meant for a dummy. I absolutely love to share your blog with those visiting my blog. Can I add you to my buddy list at htt://ebizuniversity.blogpspot.com?

    Bye

    Franco
  • Anonymous ploop posted at Wednesday, July 04, 2007  
    I agree with Myblogg ... I rarely bother over there now as it's been cracked by the spammers.
    Point 5 is the killer though - the NEED to post overcoming the USE of posting ... one dreary 'not much to say today so here's a link' will put me off a blog for life!
  • Anonymous Ernie posted at Wednesday, July 04, 2007  
    So I was just drinking a Blue Beaver Beer and reading your blog and I thought to myself, "Those 'five blog no-no's' are really the dogs bollocks.
  • Blogger nanciesweb posted at Wednesday, July 04, 2007  
    Isn't #3 the opposite of #1? I mean after all, the spammers are trying to promote themselves?

    As for #5, there should be a balance. I stop visiting after a few weeks of no posting.

    And, yeah, I do post a lot... but lately I had a lot to say and I've been told by my midwife to stay off my feet for the next couple of weeks.

    BAD combination for resisting posting.

    Blogger should have a "respond to comment" feature. That way, anyone can respond to a specific comment and it should be threaded so that you know which response goes to what comment at a glance.
  • Blogger Cattiva posted at Wednesday, July 04, 2007  
    #4 & #5 - I'm singing the Amen Chorus with you!
  • Blogger ShutteredEye posted at Thursday, July 05, 2007  
    Heheh, I suspect there are waaay more than 5 no-nos, but I think it's a great start! Nicely rehashed. :)
  • Blogger Elisabeth posted at Thursday, July 05, 2007  
    Very useful site! Thanks for the hints Blondie.
  • Anonymous Lynda Walldez posted at Friday, July 06, 2007  
    I have tagged you.
    http://lyndawalldez.blogspot.com/2007/07/tagged-twice-for-fuel-random-four-meme.html
  • Anonymous gary posted at Friday, July 06, 2007  
    I agree with 2 and 4. Add to #2 don't comment anonymous. have the courage to use your name and blog name.
  • Anonymous Tracey posted at Friday, July 06, 2007  
    I agree with you completely on the need to follow up on people's comments with a return of the favour...Nice list of 'no-nos'
  • Blogger Miss Cellania posted at Saturday, July 07, 2007  
    I try to click on ads at blogs I like and want to encourage. Its very hard to make any money from Google ads, and its forbidden to click on your own, so I click them at blogs I admire. I just don't click them at blogs that do more ads than content.
  • Blogger Carlos posted at Sunday, July 08, 2007  
    Hi, as you know by now, I have serious problems with your number two item :) so I must be doomed by now. I try to compensate that helping people but it is not enough. Number one is true too and I never read those so don't bother anyone. 3. Promotion, never ending promotion, I totally agree with you. 4. Hmm. Yes, big shots on the web clutter the page and get away with it cause people are hooked on their content and they "understand" the author. By the way (your question about my ads: only with google ads, the rest don't work for me. The page does not give much so I create those swickis that drop some bucks too, but believe me I won't get rich, maybe I can change lens and that's all :)
    The last item, good content in the right dose is better than tons of crap.
    So as you see I agree with everything and think these are good tips to be successful on the web. Thanks.
  • Blogger Translator posted at Tuesday, July 10, 2007  
    Great list! I agree completely with #1. I don't even read the messages at MyBlogLog anymore since I've received so much "spammages".

    Excellent work. You're a brilliant blond. I'm blond, too.

    Well, sort of brownish. Dark blond brownish.

    I'm not as brilliant as you, though.
  • Anonymous Moonjunkie posted at Wednesday, July 11, 2007  
    thanks for this. its rili usefull
  • Anonymous Lady Rose posted at Friday, July 13, 2007  
    great list -
    #1 I agree I dont bothere with these messages - perhaps just a shout box on the profile page for these types of message, that way the blogger can bring attention to something on their blog but not bother everyone.

    I don't have ads but I do have two columns to my blog - I weeded down my blogroll though and moved a LOT to a sepparte page. It's hard to know what to keep and what to part with.

    I need like blog consultant LOL I just like to many things.

    I post every day - though once in awhile more then once.

    I don't know how to remove the no follow - I don't think I can with wordpress *shrugs*
  • Blogger tenchiwei posted at Friday, July 13, 2007  
    taking your commandments to heart. I have ads, too but I'm not sure what is "too much" though...but i think as long as there's content, a blog can stray away from intensive care ;)
  • Anonymous Mika posted at Sunday, July 15, 2007  
    I think Mybloglog's new community message feature is not a good idea. It breeds spamming. :D

    hey, Great blog! very informative.

    i wish to exchange links with you. just drop me a line if interested.

    Happy blogging!.. :)
  • Blogger Sueblimely posted at Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
    Thanks for the mention, Kuanyin - my blog is so boring I need all the plugs I can.
    One problem with all these MyBlogLog type messages is that I tend to miss messages I actually want to read. I automatically relegate MBL notifications straight to a separate inbox folder to read when I have time so they does not clutter my inbox. If they in my main inbox I am likely to miss other more urgent emails. I think MBL made a mistake with their mass messaging feature.
  • Anonymous Omega posted at Friday, July 27, 2007  
    Hi Kuanyin,
    thanks for this useful post!
  • Anonymous Naveed posted at Wednesday, April 14, 2010  
    really hot icon is present in the front but interested to see and use the application and blog

    i used this post at night when i think about my friends and family so i really thankful for providing very good information
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link