Saturday, February 23, 2008

Three Lessons I've Learned About Blogging While Recuperating

Class: I've heard the rumors I was abducted, but alas, they aren't true! I've simply been taking a restful holiday from educating my naughty students and replenishing myself for another go of posting. One of the many joys of blogging for me is the freedom: you can stop when you want to and begin when you want. How many other areas of your life can you say this about?!

If you're zero concerned about advertising revenue, fame, popularity, net statistics, or keeping an audience, then you're in the FREE-ZONE!

And that's where your Blondalicious Teacher is in--the Free-Zone! It's sweet, let me tell ya!

Certainly I've been checking-in and checking-up on the Blogosphere and observing much folly and work for what??? Dropping Entrecards? Comments? Audience-Smaudience! I've got a LIFE which I'm very happy to have, and I'm germinating all kinds of ideas and creativity within this life. One of these days I will get out there and crack the whip again.

Now that I've got this 'splanation off my extra large chest, here are Three Lessons I've Learned About Blogging:

1. If you want to become a HUGELY popular blogger, you need an angle or a niche. It also helps to be controversial and have a lot of friends who spread word of mouth about your blog. Case in point: Stuff White People Like

Notice this blog was only begun in January of 2008, and already there are hundreds of comments on each post. Notice the sidebar is free of most widgets and links. Notice the number of hits.

2. If you want to sell a book or a calendar or whatever from your blog, build your audience FIRST! Unless you've already built an audience, it's rather lame to start marketing from the get-go. You look rather desperate, and there's nothing a bigger turn-off than desperation. I won't use a desperate example of any blog here because I'm compassionate.

3. If you want to gain an audience and you're not an already famous pundit or celebrity or columnist, post photos, photos, and more photos! Too many words scare people away. Most blog-readers don't have time to read, but images capture their interest. If they like your images, they may slow down enough to read. Case in point: the blog Confessions of a Pioneer Woman

Notice the photos. They're everywhere. Of course, the writing is entertaining, but I'm convinced it's the photos which have made this blog super popular.

So there you have it in a nutshell: Create a niche blog. Hold off on the marketing until successful. Post lots of photos and/or images.

Over and out! Oh, "Mr. Humor-Blogs.com", congrats on your new enterprise.



Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 4:38 PM

9 Comments

  • Blogger xDashofPanachex posted at Monday, March 03, 2008  
    that's incredibly true. You've now inspired me to put more photos up on my blog.

    P.S.- That "Stuff White People Like" blog is the funniest and truest blog I've read in a while. I'm just dying laughing!
  • Blogger Kimba The White Lioness posted at Thursday, March 06, 2008  
    This is so true! I tire of all the self-promotion (spam) going on in my MyBlogLog messages column. All people are doing is showing me how they feel they MUST make everyone aware of their FANTASTIC (not) blogs daily, instead of letting the READERS decide whether or not their blog is fab!
  • Anonymous RennyBA posted at Friday, March 07, 2008  
    Sorry I haven't been around for a while, but glad I could see this post which is very readable and I do agree.

    In my words: I like your style, stay with your theme and people will visit and appreciate your post because of your personal touch - so keep up the good work!

    Wishing you a great end to your week too :-)
  • Blogger Olga, the Traveling Bra posted at Monday, March 10, 2008  
    BLESSINGS to you sweetie! Am thinking of you....hope all's well in your world!
    xoxoxoxo
  • Blogger Anthony posted at Thursday, March 13, 2008  
    Ahhhhhh, the FREE-ZONE. I look forward to be back there, sooner than later.

    What's good to see if that you're back, at least now and then, which, I think, makes the blogosphere more fun.

    Next time you do a plug for a site, maybe you'd suggest this one. I hope you'll set the tone and share the view from your window.
  • Blogger czarrmae posted at Tuesday, March 18, 2008  
    Thanks for the tip, i learned alot and i like your style it's very humorous.
  • Anonymous Free SMS posted at Tuesday, May 27, 2008  
    Nice Blogs you have got!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Anonymous Singles Chat posted at Wednesday, May 28, 2008  
    Thanks For Sharing!! I like the way you share your writings in your blog!!
  • Anonymous Kostwnloser Iq Test posted at Wednesday, May 28, 2008  
    I am thinking how do you get these brilliant ideas!! You have got very nice blog!! Keep up the good spirit.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link